KEW Foundries specialises in all grades of Grey and SG Irons and is closely affiliated with its clients to develop appropriate patterns and improve on existing products. Although KEW Foundries is an accredited supplier to the major mining houses in South Africa, it is also in the process of obtaining an ISO 9001:2000 listing. The company operates its own fleet of trucks, which ensures timeous delivery throughout South Africa.
The foundry has a modern laboratory equipped with an ARL 3460 Ret B optical emission spectrometer, metallographic section and a sand testing section.
There are two furan sand foundries on-site that are capable of producing castings from 1 kg to 7 500 kg, from single to complex shapes. The two foundries are supplied with metal from one of 6 000 kg induction furnaces and either of the two 3 000 kg furnaces feeding off a common power pack.
As well as storing and maintaining customer patterns, KEW Foundries has its own extensive pattern library. In addition, KEW Foundries works closely with each client to design and modify castings and or pattern equipment to improve quality and reduce costs.
A full range of non-destructive testing can be performed on-site inclusive of magnetic particle, die-penetrant and ultrasonic testing. Physical testing is, at present, performed by an independent laboratory.
Each section of the engineering division including the design, material controls and production, is actively supported by the Quality Assurance Department. The KEW Foundries Machine Shop covers an area of approximately 20 000 m2 and is serviced by a 3 X 8 tonne, 1 X 5 tonne and a 1 X 3 tonne overhead crane.
It is equipped with the following:
- 1 X vertical boring machine 7.1m swing X 2m under bridge
- 1 X vertical boring machine 2.1m swing X 2m under bridge
- 1 X gear cutter up to 1.2m diameter
- 1 X slotting machine with a 300mm stroke up to 1.5m diameter
- 1 X milling machine
- 1 X horizontal boring machine
- 1 X CNC lathe 400mm swing and 1.7m between centres
- 1 X conventional lathe 500 swing and 3m between centres
- 1 X conventional lathe 300 swing and 1.5m between centres
- 5 X radial arm drills
- 3 X presses up to 300 ton
- 2 X cut-off saws up to 350m diameter
Plus various machines specifically used for the manufacture of our latest generation sheave wheels.